7.15.2011

Stinky Fridge?

My first step began with my refrigerator. It seemed overwhelmingly crowed at most times, with rotten veggies and containers of prepared meals from random olive bars. All the best intentions in mind, I promise, yet it was out of control, I couldn’t begin to identify the random odors escaping at each opening. I knew it could be maintained more efficiently.

First things first, I made a list. While grocery shopping, ask yourself, ‘do I really need all that spring mix or spinach, or would maybe half suffice?’ Chances are you’re not only wasting food, you’re wasting money. I started to push myself to shop more responsibly.

My second step and a very simple one, was to invest in freezer bags and glass reusable storage containers. Glass keeps everything fresher and freezer bags can be rinsed and reused for a long time. Whenever I slice up any fruit or vegetable I immediately grab a freezer bag and throw it in for my next cooking adventure. When my bananas start to turn I place them in a freezer bag, my daughter uses them often to make herself frozen smoothies. Not only sustainable, but also much healthier and she is taking ownership of her own snack and the creation of it.

A Few Storage Tips:

  • Store your veggies properly. Place a paper towel in with your greens and sprouts, it will help absorb a lot of moisture, remember to change it every few days.
  • Invest ($10) in a salad spinner. Freshly cleaned and spun greens, last a lot longer, and then move them to a green storage bag to extend the life. Storing them in the bags or plastic they come in tends to help them get soggy and stinky a lot quicker.
  • Here is a website to help you learn how to store your veggies. http://www.angelicorganics.com/Vegetables/vegetablescontent.php?contentfile=vegstorage
  • If you have a root cellar or cool basement, throw your root vegetables (potatoes, carrots, turnips) in a canvas bag and keep them cool. This also works will with a variety of squash.
  • Herbs can be frozen and reused for just about any recipe. Most likely you’re buying them in a large bunch at the grocery store and chances are it’s way too much for your recipe.


Lastly and certainly not least, lets not forget about soup, when you notice your veggies starting to turn, grab a stockpot and get creative. There are millions of recipes online to help you throw a quick soup together and save those last veggies. Many fruits can be used for juicing or for a chilled soup as well.

In many posts I’m going to share at least one recipe and ask anyone to contribute the same. I would like to keep them all vegetarian or vegan as they provide the most sustainable options for our environment.

As it is coming up on the glorious and delicious peach season I thought I’d share this yummy delight, especially since peaches tend to turn fast, here is a quick soup to throw together to avoid waste and enjoy a refreshing chilled soup.


Pretty Peach Soup
  • 1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries, thawed
  • 3 cups fresh or frozen peaches, thawed
  • 3 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 cup peach nectar
  • 1 cup plain yogurt (I use vegan)
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon almond extract

Directions

   1. Place raspberries in a blender; cover and process until smooth. Strain and discard seeds. Cover and refrigerate puree. Place peaches and lemon juice in the blender; cover and process until smooth. Transfer to a bowl; sit in nectar, yogurt, sugar if needed (if fruit is tart) and extract. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
   2. To garnish as shown in the photo, drizzle 1 tablespoon raspberry puree in a 3 in. circle on top of each serving. Use a toothpick to draw six lines toward the center of circle, forming a flower.

Nutritional Analysis: One 1-cup serving (prepared with fat-free yogurt) equals 129 calories, 1 g fat (0 saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 42 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fruit, 1/2 fat-free milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment